Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Alive and Well (Sort of)

Well looking back at the date of my last blog post, it's been exactly one month since I last entered anything in here. A lot has happened since then, not necessarily good things, but things none the less.

First off I got my wallet stolen on the way home from school a few weeks ago. As stressing as the situation could be, I felt relatively calm about the whole situation. I made some phone calls, borrowed some cash from friends. After waiting a while, I got my credit card and debit card last week.

During this stretch of downtime, I also had a scary run-in with some robbers. I was convinced that I needed to stay up late one night, finishing watching Army Wives (which by the way is a fantastic show - definitely recommend it). As I was in the bathroom, I heard some people talking, and thought it was my neighbors a few doors down. Then as I went in my room, under the covers, I heard a shrill shrieking of metal and two men covered in bandannas were on my balcony trying to pry my door open.

Thinking as quickly as I could, I grabbed my important documents and raced out the door. I drove all over Sentul (at 3:00 in the morning no-less) to find a security guard that spoke English. No one, absolutely no one knew a lick of English. And my Bahasa, well in short - is lacking. I can understand more than I can speak, and with a fury of tears, it was hard to explain what was happening. I finally ended up at school and drew some pictures to relay the events of the early morning.

Long story really short, my balcony was broken and the robbers luckily didn't get in. But being me, I was freaking out like no one's business. I spent the week at my friend's house (it was during holiday, so a bit more convenient).

I've been a bit worried, even though it's been about 3 weeks. It took me a while to sleep by myself. Thankfully I have some friends that are really patient and willing to stay with me. Now I finally feel comfortable sleeping by myself and even hired a security guard for me personally.

The kids have been up in arms as have the teachers. There has been a lot of political things going on and the kids in my class are a bit unique (there are really no words to explain). The consideration of beating my head against the wall happens multiple times on a daily basis. There are a number of students who have disabilities, and the lack of experienced supporting staff can be overwhelming at times.

Anyway, despite the fact that I'm struggling to keep afloat mentally and emotionally, things are starting to look up. Hey, after all, it is mid-September. I can't believe I've been in school for nearly two months already this academic year!

The highlight of this month has to have come last night. I met up with some missionaries, which our little church/small group supports. They have a ministry in a village called Cihuelet and the women have learned how to quilt. The importance of this is great, because these missionaries are trying to get these women off the street from begging and prostitution. I ordered a quilt from some left over material I had from my new comforter and finally got it last night. It's beautiful and hand sewn. I cannot wait to post pictures. Hopefully I will do so soon.

Over Christmas holiday, all of the expats will be taking handmade things back to the States and sell them to support these women in the village. Doing these handicrafts keeps them off the street, have a steady income, and allow them to be introduced to Christ. It's such an amazing ministry. To those of you who actually read this blog, pass along this information. I would like to take many handicrafts home to sell and support this ministry because it is vital. And without this income for the women and these missionaries, it would be a lost cause.

These missionaries (who I will not name airing on the side of caution) have a dangerous job because openly evangelizing Indonesians to other Indonesians is quite an unacceptable/intolerable thing to do. There are serious consequences that can result in the identification of their ministry.

Anyway, that's really about it. Sorry for the long period between updates. I will try to keep it on a weekly basis rather than a monthly one. Thanks for your prayers and concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment