Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Swing Towards Positive

It's been a little over a week and things are starting to look up. It was a rough start to this new academic year. I felt like I was drowning and everyone/everything seemed to beat me over the head. I am so thankful for my grandparents and my mother for getting me through this rough patch. Through their prayers and encouragement, I was finally able to get a new perspective and a burden lifted. God has been so good this past week.

My grandpa sent me an email with the verse Philippians 4:13. I'm sure most of you are familiar with this verse and know it by heart. "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." It seems like such an simple verse, but I have definitely taken it for granted.

I woke up every morning and recited the verse. I can do anything - anything, when Christ is by my side.

Things in the classroom and with administration seemed to cool down and I felt as if I could finally set out for what I yearned for - to teach and be fully devoted to my students and coworkers.

This week I started (and finished) a book called "Tuesdays With Morrie." It's a fantastic book, and for all of you who have never read it - this is a must read. It's a book that tells about a dying professor who has Lou Gehrig's disease. He is reunited with one of his former students and they meet every week to talk about life and the issues they face. There were two particular things that struck me, and have resonated in my ears all week.

The first thing Morrie talked about was how it is important to limit self-pity. Set aside a small bit of time, if needed - but when your reflecting is done, don't turn back to it. Self-pity only brings you down and there's really nothing you can do, especially when change/outcome is inevitable. You cannot spend your life in mourning, but rather approach it with joy and exuberance.

The next thing that he said was "You learn to live when you learn to die." Death is something that we know will eventually happen to all of us - but at the same time, we take life for granted. Morrie talks about how, if you consider this may be your last day on earth, you will do things differently. If you are a teacher - you will teach differently, knowing that it may be your last chance to make an impact on your students. Earthly things don't mean anything, but relationships with God, your family, friends, and even strangers are what bring importance to your life.

The last few days, before I drove to school, I said to myself: "If today was my last day - what would I do differently." As I dwell on this throughout the day, I find myself more patient, smiley, and upbeat. When God calls me home (and that may be tonight, tomorrow, next month, next year, or even in decades from now), I don't want to have taken my last day for granted. I want to go out with a bang - imprinting my passion and love to all who I interact with (even to those extra-grace required people, as my mom would put it).

Anyway, with the support from my family, countless prayers, and an insight from this book, I pushed the "restart" button for my year. I want this year to be memorable and joyous like the previous one. And it is only through Christ who gives me strength, that I will be able to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment